Tuesday, May 10, 2011

citizenship within the fraternity/sorority community

Being a younger member in my sorority and a new addition to the sorority/fraternity community, I don't think that I've seen as many displayed acts of citizenship as the next person. Don't get me wrong, I've made many attempts to be a more involved member of this community. I've attended a number of roundtables, and have participated in other sorority and fraternity's philanthropy events. I have also gone to fraternal futures and something of value and have simply been active within my chapter. I believe that everything that I've done so far are signs of a successful future in sorority and fraternity life. Going off of this, I feel that I have displayed a fair amount of citizenship by working to be active within the community as a whole as well as in my chapter. Citizenship within fraternal life, to me, means being involved to the best of an individuals ability. Whether that involvement is limited to one's chapter or broadened to the general community, taking initiative says something for an individual.
On a larger scope, Alpha Gamma Delta, along with many other sororities and fraternities, take many initiatives to become more involved on campus and within the Columbus community. Through our many service and philanthrophy events and efforts we are showing our overwhelming support for area charities as well as national ones. I feel that although this is one of the largest ways that the Ohio State fraternal community shows citizenship, there are many other examples as well. Our support as a community for each other as well as our individual involvement in various other orgs and initiatives on campus are indeed a tremendous display of citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment