Tuesday, May 17, 2011

When thinking about the meaning of the word oath, the first thing that comes to mind is the word promise. But when I look up the actual definition, I find that a more accurate description is "a formally affirmed statement or promise accepted as an equivalent of an appeal to a deity or to a revered person or thing (dictionary.com)."  Considering this statement, an oath is something to be taken much more seriously than a promise. Just as I took an oath to my religious faith through confirmation and to my sorority and its purposes in initiation, people take oaths everyday to the law in courtrooms. Does this mean that a courtroom is always a truthful and just place? Does this mean that individuals always stay true to their religious faith or their sorority/fraternity? Sadly, the answer is no. Why is this? Could it possibly be because others like myself consider oaths to be simple promises to someone or something. People make promises that they can't keep everyday, so is this where we stray? Is the line between our oath and something far less important beginning to fade? I think it's time that we reconsider and refocus our attention back on our initiations and what we vowed to stand for and be from that day forward for the good of our sorority/fraternity and our sisters/brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment